Topband: Transformer isolation vs common mode choke was: Re: T Vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Transformer isolation vs common mode choke was: Re: T Vertical feed
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:33:36 -0500
Someone recently commented in favor of using transformer isolation in
lieu of a common mode choke in a receiving application.  I presume this
would be a 1:1 transformer using a binocular core, or at least
completely separate primary and secondary windings.  What are the pros
and cons of this idea?  Does capacitive coupling between primary and
secondary, or some other factor, limit how much isolation can be
achieved this way?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 1/27/2012 1:07 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 1/27/2012 8:40 AM, Charles Moizeau wrote:
>> I am willing to insert a common-mode choke, but don't know what to measure
>> beforehand to learn if one is needed.
> There is NO DOWNSIDE to using a good common mode choke other than cost
> and weight, and as W4TV has noted, there are downsides to NOT using one.
>
> As it turns out, there was a typo in the link I posted to my RFI
> tutorial, which includes Cookbook guidelines for winding effective
> ferrite chokes.  The correct link is
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK