Re: Topband: 2Wire, Inc. 3800HGV-B Gateway. RFI --Problem fixed for now

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 2Wire, Inc. 3800HGV-B Gateway. RFI --Problem fixed for now….
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 20:47:21 -0800
On 2/3/2012 3:29 PM, Frank Davis wrote:
> My own mitigation techniques involved placing a number of 2.4" #31 toroids on
> the power cable for the modem and also the VDSL CAT5 cable that feeds the
> modem .... I was successful in stopping my line from crashing but only if I
> limited my ACOM1010 to 500W out on 160/80/40m.

The difference between 500W and 700W is only 1.5dB, so if it's clean at
500W, it should not take much to make it clean at 700W!

> The BellAliant technician told me that placing the ferrites on the CAT5
> feeding the modem caused  a significant number ( hundreds of '000's on a
> continual basis.) of FEC (forward error correction) events to begin happening
> on my line.

That does not make sense unless the CAT5 was mechanically distorted by
the winding.  That would disturb the impedance at bit, but a LOT of
errors doesn't make sense to me. The ferrites form a common mode choke,
which the differential circuit should not see.

>    I was not aware of these errors as they did not present themselves on the
> TV screens.   The service provider did not like these errors on the line and
> wanted to eliminate them.  Today the techs visited again and placed a new 3
> pair shielded drop wire from the pole to my house.

Was it twisted pairs? Twisting is what matters.  CAT5/6/7 is very good
twisted pair.

>   After much investigation and trial and error he installed a TII Network
> Technologies filter/splitter
> (http://www.tiinetworktechnologies.com/repository/datasheetlibrary/NYMDS086-0411.pdf)
>  at the point where the drop wire enters the wiring closet a few meters from
> the shack area.
>
> He referred to it as a "business filter" meaning it is generally used in
> business locations were internet access maybe required at a specific
> workstation and not others.  It splits the line between POTS and Internet .
> Only after this filter was placed did the RFI stop and the line would stay up
> when I run 700W from the amp.  There are still ferrites on the power cord to
> the modem but not on the CAT5 cable to the modem. The techs explanation was
> that this robust filter was "blocking" stray RF induced into the house
> telephone wiring and CAT5 drops coming back from various parts of the house
> to the common terminal block in the wiring closet.  Deduced from a couple of
> hours of isolating various feeds etc.   There is a lot of wire as each room
> in the house has a CAT5 cable and a telephone drop and RG6 cable.

Good move.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK