Re: Topband: 2Wire, Inc. 3800HGV-B Gateway. RFI --Problem fixed for now…

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 2Wire, Inc. 3800HGV-B Gateway. RFI --Problem fixed for now….
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 01:09:24 -0500
No doubt.  But AT&T boys eat through spools of CAT5 like cake.  I'm
sure they have some kind of failure/cost of materials equation that
they watch pretty closely.  I thought that might be penny wise and
pound foolish but they say most calls are close or distantly related
to RTFM issues, and the grade of CAT5, once it's working is rarely an
issue.  Fellow who was a ham said one of their customers putting 1500
watts of 160 meters on an efficient antenna is really rare.  Have to
smile at that.  -- Guy

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 9:09 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>> The guy thinks that bending and semi crushing the
>> CAT5 twisted pairs, messes up the twists.
>
> That makes sense, and is what I was talking about.  It's a well known
> issue with garden variety CAT5/6 cables.  But it would likely be solved
> by using a better grade of CAT6/7, like Belden Mediatwist. It does (at
> least) two things that resist deformation -- first, each pair is molded
> together. Second, the cable has an unusual cross-section construction.
> Belden does the pair molding on their lower cost CAT5/6 cables too, but
> not the unusual cross section, which I would guess gets halfway there. .
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK