Re: Topband: Radials help

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 07:01:53 -0500
New antenna models arenas ideas for them are one thing, but new laws of
physics? It's great to experiment but you can only work around the
fundementals. Discovering new principals is always in play, but that is very
different from new configurations of metal. Even fractal antenna technology is
based on all the base lines we know about RF.

What would be useful is a Book of. Myths to save people lots of time and wire.
Unfortunately it wouldn't be small.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 10, 2012, at 20:51, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Au contraire.
>
> We HAVE been building.  What is different now is that we have affordable
> tools that Mssrs. Brown, Lewis and Epstein would surely drool over.  The
> photographs in the study and some other related literature outline the
> difficulties they went through to produce the document.  What we also have
> is the ability now to measure relative skywave signals (Remote Beacon
> Network) in a way that allows real statistical  comparisons of stations in
> many different propagation situations and locations, and get it down to an
> accuracy of a dB or two, even for trans-oceanic paths.
>
> Now the old topic is popping up with NEW designs to test out, and it turns
> out there are some new things to compare.
>
> BL&E had MONEY behind them, though they did have a wire budget theyeemt
> exhausted (113 radials instead of 120, the story is they ran out of wire).
> For BL&E to have been truly comprehensive, they would have needed to redo
> it in Hawaii, North Carolina, and a half dozen other places, to add another
> matrix dimension to their figures in places with altogether different soil
> qualities.
>
> For our part, we just need to keep after the subject.  People ARE putting
> up new designs on Top Band, and using them, and this annoyingly (for some)
> repetitive topic has been the vector for the new ideas.
>
> 73, Guy.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Mark van Wijk <pa5mw@home.nl> wrote:
>

>> It is time to stop talking.
>>
>> This topic pops up every six months or so for many years now.
>>
>> Go to a defined and mutual agreed property and build / test all mentioned
>> radial models.
>>
>> No need to keep throwing theories, agreed/non agreed standards, computer
>> models and hardly relevant what-works-for-me stories at each other.
>>
>> 73 Mark, PA5MW

>> UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK