Re: Topband: LOTW Participation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: LOTW Participation
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:01:06 -0500
 > Why would anyone deny that thrill to a rookie Ham,
 > dismissing it as being old-fashioned, when it inspired
 > us oh-so-many years ago? An electronic notification
 > is just not the same, IMHO...

This will be my final on the subject, but let me just attempt once
more to plant a seed for possible thought.

I totally agree an electronic notification is just not the same, but
it may be all your QSO partner has. So by the same token, why would
anyone deny the thrill of a LoTW confirmation to a ham who may not
be able to chase confirmations by more traditional means? It costs
nothing to upload to LoTW and may just make your QSO partner's day -
just as that paper QSL thrills you. Perhaps for some it is a matter
of protesting progress, which, trust me, I completely understand.
I've been known to protest progress a few times myself! Still, the
cost of protest may be denying that thrill to another ham.

I firmly believe in QSLing, by any method. That is why, since I am
not prepared to handle the paperwork, I choose not to make QSOs that
put me in the position of having to deny paper QSLs to my QSO
partners. Ideally I would choose not to deny us both the QSO in the
first place, but life is about compromises and making realistic
choices - and choices we can live with.

Sorry for posting twice on this topic. I'm done and out of here
though I will be happy to continue the discussion off list if anyone
feels inclined to debate my position. Where'd I put that flame proof
suit? ;-)

73,
Paul N1BUG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK