Topband: Well, where is everybody???

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Well, where is everybody???
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 07:30:10 -0600
So, lots of chat here 'bout not giving up on Top Band in the spring and summer
months - e.g., kick off an addiiton Stew Perry event or two, keep looking for
stations 'cuz there'll be others on, yadda, yadda.

So, been on the air the last couple of mornings (yes, I know....that's not a
LOOOOONG time to collect meaningful data) and here are my findings:

1) one CW station heard yesterday A.M. calling CQ DX (not good news for us QRP
types but....hey, I called him AND he came back to my call - that doen't happen
often, trust me!).  Called CQ for about 10 to 15 minutes on and off....nuthin'
heard.

2) heard zero stations CW stations this morning....called CQ for some period of
time (ten minutes or better, on and off) but no replies.  P.S.  know  I was
radiating a signal as I was 19 to 22 db above the noise level at a reverse
beacon network receiver over in Reno.

3) heard multiple SSB rag chews going on - not into SSB that much and most of
the rag chews involved multiple stations on the various frequencies so expect
there's a plethora of "buddies" that get on in the morning to say hi and catch
up on "things"....

I'll keep operating as time permits in the mornings...and evenings....maybe
might could hear other CW operators from out this way; I certainly have no
illusions of grandeur as far as working DX or stations east of, say, CO and NM
during these "un peak times" but....can't believe there aren't SOME western
state ops out there who are in the mood to get on the air on Top Band and just
chat, a little or a lot!

72, Jim (I'll keep the CW fires stoked on Top Band as much as possible for a
peanut whistle strength signal) Rodenkirch, K9JWV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK