Re: Topband: Well, where is everybody???

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Well, where is everybody???
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:40:57 -0400
I have a new batch of caps and some resistors to put into my 160
transmitter. When I get them in there I'll be looking in the mornings
and late evenings, too. It seems my chunk of wire in the trees favors
west. I might cheat and use all 40 watts!

73,

Bill  KU8H

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 07:30 -0600, James Rodenkirch wrote:
> So, lots of chat here 'bout not giving up on Top Band in the spring and
> summer months - e.g., kick off an addiiton Stew Perry event or two, keep
> looking for stations 'cuz there'll be others on, yadda, yadda.
>
> So, been on the air the last couple of mornings (yes, I know....that's not a
> LOOOOONG time to collect meaningful data) and here are my findings:
>
> 1) one CW station heard yesterday A.M. calling CQ DX (not good news for us
> QRP types but....hey, I called him AND he came back to my call - that doen't
> happen often, trust me!).  Called CQ for about 10 to 15 minutes on and
> off....nuthin' heard.
>
> 2) heard zero stations CW stations this morning....called CQ for some period
> of time (ten minutes or better, on and off) but no replies.  P.S.  know  I
> was radiating a signal as I was 19 to 22 db above the noise level at a
> reverse beacon network receiver over in Reno.
>
> 3) heard multiple SSB rag chews going on - not into SSB that much and most of
> the rag chews involved multiple stations on the various frequencies so expect
> there's a plethora of "buddies" that get on in the morning to say hi and
> catch up on "things"....
>
> I'll keep operating as time permits in the mornings...and evenings....maybe
> might could hear other CW operators from out this way; I certainly have no
> illusions of grandeur as far as working DX or stations east of, say, CO and
> NM during these "un peak times" but....can't believe there aren't SOME
> western state ops out there who are in the mood to get on the air on Top Band
> and just chat, a little or a lot!
>
> 72, Jim (I'll keep the CW fires stoked on Top Band as much as possible for a
> peanut whistle strength signal) Rodenkirch, K9JWV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK