Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: It is not so much propagation
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:27:57 -0400
On 03/19/2012 06:46 PM, ZR wrote:
> A 175' run of 5 Slinkys will have about the same directivity as a 550' or so
> Beverage, a bit better SNR and still enough signal to not need a preamp most
> of the time.
>
> Its still a Beverage.
>
> Statement based upon years of use. YMMV

A beverage works because the difference in velocity factors
(between air and wire?  between wire and ground?) bends the
wavefront.

Does a slinky, with a lower velocity factor, bend the
wavefront more?

Does it somehow end up with a lower takeoff angle, and
maybe better azimuthal directivity than a similar length
of straight wire?

I am somewhat checked out from work right now, or I would
model this in NEC.  Right now I'm hoping someone else
already has :)

Also, do you need special slinkies for constructing a
beverage?  Say, stainless steel or bronze ones?

--
All rights reversed.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK