Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

To: Robin <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 07:15:09 -0700
For me - Receiver AGC doesn't matter - typically on fast.  However, I will
back the RF gain back so that most of the static crashes do not activate
the AGC.  I will advance the AF gain to compensate.  I find that setting
things up this way allows my brain to focus on the signal without the
signal changing amplitude due to the AGC being triggered by a static crash.

I am not sure IF bandwidth matter that much at this point - but typically
use 400 Hz.  I also find a CW tone down around 400 Hz works well for me.

Not sure any digital processing really helps with this - I haven't ever
found something that I would say really works.  Diversity seems to help -
but only after you are using directive antennas to minimize the static if
possible.

I have done this for a very long time - from using an S line on 80 meters
at K6RR, to a C line on 160 meters at P40V, a TS850 and K3 here at my
station.

Tree N6TR

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Robin <wb6tza@socal.rr.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is a good time to share the techniques we individually find
> successful for
> hearing through the giant sparks.
>
> Directional receive antennas, obviously,
>
> Receiver AGC?
> IF bandwidth?
> IF and RF gain distribution? (includes antenna preamps)
> what classes of digital processing do better?
> what's the best way to keep the receiver processing from ringing and
> increasing the
> effective duration of the crash?
> noise blanker performance?
> post receiver audio processing?
> can you let the IF strip "clip" in a modern receiver and be an effective
> "peak limiter"
> without serious ringing?
>
> What do YOU do?  and with which receiver?
>
> some shared experience might remind all of us of things to try to hear
> when the big sparks
> are flying
>
> Robin, WA6CDR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK