Topband: Inverted L Question - Reply

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted L Question - Reply
From: "Lloyd Korb" <k8dio@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 08:51:09 -0400
To everyone how replied to my Inverted L question, a big THANKS!  I really
learned a lot from the replies.

I know that what I have is not an ideal situation for the Inverted L but
it's all I have available to me.  I live on a very standard one third of an
acre city lot.  My 60 foot tower is used to support a multitude of VHF/UHF
yagis used for weak signal operation.  Prior to a friend giving me an old
6BTV vertical, last year, the Inverted L was my best shot for getting on 160
meters.

As one fellow said, "If it's not broke, don't fix it".  It is a great
antenna for me.  I am able to use it on 160 through 10 meters using my
tuner.  Maybe ignorance is bliss!!

What is interesting to me is the fact that at times the L seems to have a
different polarity than the 6BTV.  I can switch back and forth between the
two antennas, on bands other than 160 meters, and see quite a difference in
signal strength.  So, If the L is actually just inducing current to the
tower, on 160, it should be vertically polarized.  Then I really shouldn't
see a difference between to vertically polarized antennas!  Could this
difference be because of the horizontal part of my Inverted L radiating!

After being a Ham for over 55 years I'm still learning something new!

Thanks again for all of your replies.

73,  Lloyd  K8DIO

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK