Re: Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, takeoff angles etc

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, takeoff angles etc
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 21:22:28 -0500
I've never operated mobile, but it sounds like you're saying the daytime
local range on 160 and 10 is comparable.

But Rich is also talking about the radiation at zero degrees bouncing off
the ionosphere and returning to the earth at some distant point. That's
what I'm wondering about. Local is one thing, but DX is another.

73, Mike

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM, ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

> Try operating 160 and 10M mobile, you would be surprised at the daytime
> range even with low power into a 8' antenna on 160.
>
>  I'm pretty sure this surface wave at ~0 degrees elevation is useful on
>> (and below) the AM broadcast band (especially the lower portion) and 160
>> meters.
>>
>> But what about at 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 14, 18, 21, 24, and 28 MHz? That's what
>> I've been trying to figure out: exactly how useful is this radiation at
>> zero degrees on the different ham bands?
>>
>> Based on my experiences --and what I've studied-- since 1976, I'm not
>> sure that it is.
>>
>> 73, Mike

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK