Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, Takeoff Angles etc,

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, Takeoff Angles etc,
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 13:27:42 +1000
Hi all..

This thread has been very interesting and educational...I guess we all
strive to make our installation as efficient as we possibly can...Much
of the radial theory has to go out the window for those who don't have
the room, (acres)  to install a good radial field and have to compromise
with whatever can be fitted into a given small space...That being the
case probably for the larger majority of Topband operators, doesn't
always mean that their station will be insignificant compared to those
whom have the room and money to put in a large installation, 4sq and big
radial fields..

I hear too many Topband operators complaining that they can't compete
with the so called "Big Guns" and many probably don't give it a serious
go for that reason...

Well, I have news for you...I have been a consistent operator from VK
for 35 years being a keen CW dxer...My observations over the years
working thousands of dx stations world wide have showed a few definite
observations...Given an average evening dxing and the band conducting
shall we say signals are generally averaging S5 to S7...Many of these
signals are those whom only have a wire antenna and whatever radials
they can fit in their qth with no real to the book installations...In
amongst these signals there will be a few of the better installations,
most whom will be no better than the average 5-7 signal...Occasionally
one or two signals will pop up 1-2 S units above the crowd..This may be
a bigger antenna installation but more likely hit the propagation on a
peak...You have to remember that the band is very dynamic and changing
by the minute...

We always hear about the so called big contest stations....Let me tell
you that on an average their signals are not always any better than the
average signals...I have heard of and seen written many tines about
these so called super stations and can assure you that most don't rate
any better in the long haul to VK than the average Joe....I can name
about five dxers from the US who have signals consistently above the
average and most of these are fairly ordinary installations..

I think that much of it is the luck of the draw, location, and a bit of
thought put into your antenna installation..Operating methods are also a
big part of being successful...No point in having the biggest and best
installation if your operating habits aren't up to scratch...The best
Topband operators spend more time listening than banging away making
lots of qrm...

So I take my hat off to all those who have to really struggle to get a
reasonable antenna system running....Never give up or feel intimidated
by the "Big Guns"..I can assure you that if I hear you in the qrm and
qrn I will always try to give you VK...

73 all....Bob..VK3ZL..
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK