Re: Topband: staying up with the latest technology, receiver evaluation

To: topband@contesting.com, w7dra@juno.com
Subject: Re: Topband: staying up with the latest technology, receiver evaluation
From: Thomas <ac7a@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 4:04:34 -0400
Mike,

I had no idea what a RAL-7 receiver is so I did a Google search. I found that
it was built by RCA in 1930s, has 3-stage TRF front-end, and a regenerative
detector. There is a neat video on YouTube of a fellow administration of RAL-6
which I presume isn't terribly different than the RAL-7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s95N6boQ4bs

I am astounded how good the receiver sounds on CW. It is unlike both in sound
and behavior any regenerative receiver I have laid hands upon. Shoule you
actually fire the RAL-7 up, it would be interesting to hear your impressions of
this 75-year old technology in light of what we are typically using today.

'73, Thomas - ac7a (in Tokyo)

---- w7dra@juno.com wrote:

> Barry Kirkwood's (ex ZL1DD, now XU7AEL) latest receiver acquisition from
> Ken, W7EKD ended up in my storage shed. I have been interested in
> possibly updating my  topband receiving capability and thought while it
> was here waiting for shipment to give it an evaluation.
>
> Upon careful observation I see a RIT function along with digitally
> selectable band pass filtering, and less than a 10 watt power
> consumption, making it feasible for portable field operation and
> dxpiditions.
>
> I don't know how many of the top performers have arguably one of the best
> receivers ever built complementing their receiver stable.
>
> Now if I can get my son to help me carry Barry's RAL-7 out to the 160
> Meter Contest Station, I will give it a thorough evaluation this WPX.
>
> Mike W7DRA
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK