Re: Topband: RI1ANF

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RI1ANF
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 15:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
Here's an interesting story:

In the early 90's, I worked as a ship-board radio officer.  At one of the
training conferences, I met a fellow RO who also worked at the McMurdo
Antarctic base when he wasn't on ships.  During one of our (many and frequent)
conversations after hours at the hotel bar, he mentioned an odd propagation
mode at 5 kHz which only seemed to be present from pole-to-pole.  The physics
of this propagation are still unclear to me, but the salient point is that he
also described the antenna.

It was a simple dipole, cut for resonance, and strung for miles along the
icecap.  Ice is a good insulator, and the ice cap is thick enough to give a
"ground mounted" dipole reasonable height even at VLF.

At 160m, a dipole on the ice would act as though it were essentially in
free-space.

Feel free to fact check me on this.  I was young.  We were sailors.  And we
were drinking.  :-)  But it does bode well for helping Herb get his Antarctic
merit badge some day.

-Jeff  W0ODS

>>> KA1J
>>> UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK