Re: Topband: Progress with ugly computer noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Progress with ugly computer noise
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:00:23 -0400
On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 10:15 -0400, W8ZV wrote:

> Hi Bill!!
>
>     Just for reference, my HP generates NO noise.  It is possible to get
> clean supplies, although I can't tell you what is in this box.  This was
> purchased as a complete unit and came through a government purchasing
> source available to employees.  You might also want to try a UPS between
> the computer and the line.  I have had that help me in a couple of cases.

Hi Kim,

The tower with the original power supply did NOT interfere at all with
radios. Somebody else gave me a make and model of a well behaved ATX
power supply and I ordered one. I have been making some observations and
I have been able to copy weak, QRP operators on 40 meters when the S
meter is laying down on zero - no movement at all. I can hear noise from
the computer but it's down at that level with the outdoors antenna on
the low end of 40. All the way from 7000 to 7080. I swept higher without
an increase in (PC) noise. When the new PS gets her I will install it
*immediately*. I will continue working with the sinful one to get it
cleaned up (followed by it's identical twin). If nothing else I will get
some hands-on experience and I'll end with a couple of spare, 500 watt
power supplies.

It was a pleasure to log onto QRPSpots and post a QRP operator's
operations there while looking at my radio dial to give his frequency. I
have never been able to do that since I started trying to use this PC
for that kind of thing. I'll be looking at 160 tonight with this PC
running (knock on wood).

Sometimes I can just tell (if I pay close attention) that one of my
laptops is on. I don't believe they interfere at all with radios.the
noise is *down* in the air noise.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK