Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:16:50 -0400
When you replace the blade connectors, first solder them in place and them
wipe them all over with automotive silicone grease, leaving a thin layer, using
a small stiff artist's brush.  Then push them together.  Available from any
automotive store.  The stuff seems to be close to eternal.

Whatever you do, don't get it on your eyeglasses' lens.  Be careful not to
get the stuff on your clothes, or spread it around on things with your
fingers.  It will not come out of clothes and will make a permanent
stain. Wipe it off your hands with paper towels or napkins until your skin
no longer feels slick.  Abrasive hand soap helps get it off by dissolving
skin oils underneath the stuff.

One small tube of silicon grease might last you a lifetime.  I still have
part of a tube I bought in the 70's.

73, Guy.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM, N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com> wrote:

> Another question.
>
> My Beverages run through forest. Falling trees caused many wire
> breaks and high maintenance until I started using strain disconnects
> at all ends. I use a "fuse" link of #18 soft copper wire between the
> end insulator and the support pole/tree. For the Beverage connection
> to the transformer, termination, or reflection transformer (most are
> WD1A reversible type), I've been using 1/4" blade connectors. This
> allows the Beverage to fall and simply unplug itself from the boxes.
> In 4 years using this system I have not had to splice a single wire,
> and they have been down MANY times.
>
> My concern is those blade connectors, which turn an ugly mottled
> black within a year after installation. I'm not sure if this is a
> real problem or an imagined one. The Beverages still work but I'm
> concerned about possible BCI or other crud being generated in these
> connections. Does anyone have a better idea for disconnects to
> protect Beverage wire and boxes from destruction?
>
> I could replace these connectors every year or two but that would be
> lot of work.
>
> 73,
> Paul N1BUG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK