Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain auto-disconnects
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:02:07 -0500
That is crazy! It sounds like they're using something like MIG welding
wire. I thought I'd heard everything.

Another potential issue I see with wire like that is that the RF is bound
to penetrate that ultra-thin copper layer into the magnetic steel. (Boys
and girls, can you say "eddy current losses"?)

I suppose for a Beverage antenna, this is not so much of an issue. But how
could something like that not get warm from losses if you ran the legal
limit through it?

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> > Not to
> > mention the tinned copper strands seem to get "eaten" by the rust.
>
> ... Heat from soldering also seems to remove the ultra thin copper layer
> over
> the steel core. I suspect that wire is not copper clad, but some sort of
> copper flash or plate.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK