Re: Topband: Spark gaps

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spark gaps
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:57:38 -0400 (EDT)
An air gap using one to two inch diameter balls with only a one or two
millimeter gap provides a nearly uniform field resulting in the fastest
breakdown at repeatable and fairly breakdown voltages but capable of
withstanding kilowatt transmitter power levels.

Ordinary carbon steel balls used in architectural applications should provide
adequate protection if they are inspected -- and replaced if necessary -- after
a lightning strike.  For example, Wagner Industrial sells two inch diameter
threaded steel balls for $11.00 each.  There may be alternative sources.

http://www.shopwagnerb2c.com/SPHERES/SPHERES_ST?categoryId=315e03cf-4f11-4ed9-8e89-9fea015509e5&filters=&sortby=1&page=1&pageSize=10&criteria=

Very hard steel balls such as carbon or tungsten are ideal for withstanding
multiple lightning strikes without need for inspection and replacement, but at
higher cost.

The balls should be aligned in the horizontal plane, to ensure rain, do not
bridge the gap.  Preferably, the balls should be installed in a
weather/insect/rhodent proof enclosure.

73
Frank
W3LPL