Re: Topband: Spark gaps

To: "'Guy Olinger K2AV'" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spark gaps
From: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:48:51 -0400
Hi Guy,
You got my curiosity up. So, there are 6 radials out of the 60 that I know
where they end. I dragged out the VOM and a long lead (100') to check.
Everything checked okay on those 6. No visible damage where the radials
attach to a 3/4" hard Cu tubing square that is attached to the concrete
pier. The Cu tubing is attached to each leg of the tower.

In addition from each tower leg I have solid #4 Cu going to 8' ground rods
that are 3' from the concrete.  The wire continue away from the tower in
these three directions with a ground rod each additional 16' for a total of
4 ground rods for each tower leg. One of the wires that points towards the
house continues for another 40' where it "T's" to a box mounted on the side
of my shed that houses the receive antenna stuff (3' x 3' aluminum plate,
coax switch, preamp, common-mode choke).  The ground wire continues to the
large aluminum panel just inside my basement where I have mounted lightning
protection devices for every coax and control wire plus a coax switch. From
the ground attach point of the panel I have a #4 solid wire going out
through the concrete to three 8' ground rods. Total ground rods - 22.
My amp is mounted just above the panel and grounded directly to the panel. I
have a #4 wire going to the ground in the breaker box.

I have my coax, control cables and ground wire continuing to the shack which
is right above the ground panel on the first floor.

All outside ground rod connections are made with Cadwelds.
All coax shields are connected to the bottom of the tower before they go
underground. Also connected the shields where the hardlines terminates on
the tower where I switch to Buryflex for the rotator loops.
Run all coax and control cable inside the Rohn 45 (don't know if that does
any good).

And I even had a witness to the strike. It seems lightning struck a tree
about 300' past my tower very shortly before the tower got hit. My neighbor
looked up to see what got hit. My tower was in line with the tree. He was
standing about 250' from the tower when it got hit. He ran inside after
that. Two close strikes was enough for him.

Maybe someday I will pay a price for not disconnecting anything. But after
doing it this way for 33 years I have suffered virtually no damage.

73,
N2TK, Tony