Re: Topband: FCP model

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP model
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:55:56 -0400
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Rick Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com> wrote:
> We already know that folding an antenna element has no advantage
> over loading coils, why should radials be any different?
>
> Rick N6RK

There is the problem.  The folds in a single wire 5/16 wave folded
counterpoise are designed to cancel near fields and not radiate.  Now
you're saying to add hanging coils in a setting where people are
trying to do invisible things? Even if it's exactly the same, which I
really doubt, it's additional cost. Why would I choose extra cost and
visibility, and more weight on the supports?

We're not trying to adjust the laws of physics to suit ourselves, and
not claiming miracles.  We're trying to take care of folks in small
lot and HOA circumstances.

Some knife switches in certain places would allow you to compare the
FCP in situ with two long radials. But these buggers are being done
where you can't put out two radials. W0UCE would have to go negotiate
with both his neighbors and spend some neighbor capital to get it
done. But what issue and need would this expenditure be addressing?  I
certainly don't know.

I DO have NEC4 which absolutely pans two elevated 1/4 wave radials and
is most likely UNDERESTIMATING it's losses.  But also I might have a
place to do your test.  But it is time and travel and effort.  What is
being gained by the expenditure?

What is the REAL reason for this pile of objections all of a sudden?

73, Guy.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK