Re: Topband: FCP model

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP model
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:15:39 -0400
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Rick Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
> wrote:
>> We already know that folding an antenna element has no advantage
>> over loading coils, why should radials be any different?
>>
>> Rick N6RK
>
> There is the problem.  The folds in a single wire 5/16 wave folded
> counterpoise are designed to cancel near fields and not radiate.

Guy,

Maybe you really do not mean to say what you said.

If one thing is 100% certain and beyond debate, it is this...

If a counterpoise does not radiate and has no fields, it is not a
counterpoise. That's just the way it is.

The very thing that makes a counterpoise act as a counterpoise are the
fields!! The displacement current, flowing because of the E-field from the
open end of the antenna and along the length of the antenna, is what allows
current to flow out onto the conductor.

The counterpoise and things acting as a counterpoise must have a similar
field that extends outside the counterpoise and eventually links with the
antenna, or the antenna and counterpoise  would have no current at all.

I know it sounds nice to say you cancelled radiation and the counterpoise
has no nearfields, but the fact the counterpoise has current calls that
statement false.

So what are you really trying to say, since we know there can be no current
in the counterpoise without external fields and displacement currents that
eventually find a way back to the opposing terminal's polarity? If the field
reaches the antenna end 100 feet away, why would it not reach earth?

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK