Re: Topband: FCP model

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP model
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately there's no free lunch. The slope of the "gull wing" elevated
radials shortens the effective height of the vertical radiator.  To achieve
resonance, the length of the vertical must be lengthened by almost the length
of the gull wing slope.

The 1/4 verticals in my 4-square array originally used "gull wing" elevated
radials.  The radials started at ground level, sloping at 45 degree angle to 8
feet above the ground.  The radials were cut to resonant length (X=0) by
connecting them in pairs to an MFJ-259.

I had to shorten each vertical by about six feet when I replaced the elevated
radials with sixty 120 foot radials for each vertical, laid on the surface of
the earth.

Active 160 meters contesters and DXers can tell you how much the performance of
the 4-square array improved when we replaced the elevated radials.

73
Frank
W3LPL