Re: Topband: THE ITINERANT 160 METER ANTENNA PROJECT

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: THE ITINERANT 160 METER ANTENNA PROJECT
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 12:30:39 -0400
> Note that Bill was obtaining his results from the K6STI antenna
> modeling software he was using. I am not familiar with that program's
> capabilities or accuracy and it is clear from the article he believed
> the results he obtained from it.

Bill simply did not understand the difference between antenna feed
impedance and radiation resistance.  A folded dipole or folded unipole
is no different than a conventional radiator with an N:1 UN-UN or
balun between the feedline and antenna terminals.  The matching device
(balun, un-un, L-network, pi-network, "hairpin", beta match, etc.)
transforms the sum of the radiation resistance *and* loss resistance
equally.

> But Bill's contributions to amateur radio were vast and valuable and
> greatly overshadow this one slip-up.

This is far from Bill's only "slip-up" - his bully-like advocacy of
floating grids in grounded grid amplifiers is another case of non-
science.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK