Re: Topband: THE ITINERANT 160 METER ANTENNA PROJECT

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: THE ITINERANT 160 METER ANTENNA PROJECT
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 21:22:47 +0000
Just to make certain that we're on the same page, I'm writing of the
Radio Handbook, the one Bill Orr edited.  It was a Radio Magazine
handbook, perhaps later CQ Magazine and finally published by Sams.  That
was the one filled with linear amplifier articles for both HF and VHF.

I think more of Bill's articles appeared in CQ than QST.

73,

Dave K8MN

On 8/3/2012 13 49, Tom W8JI wrote:
>> The claim was made in the last several editions of the Radio Handbook in
>> describing a TV twinlead folded Marconi for 160m.
>
> I believe the idea was not in QST, because at that time QST had good
> technical editing. There were very few gross technical gaffs in QST back
> then.
>
> As I recall, the idea originally appeared in either 73 or CQ Magazine.
>
> This illustrates the danger of non-peer reviewed technical articles. I
> personally know of at least a half-dozen AM BC stations that invested money
> in converting to folded unipoles, and a company in Texas started producing
> antennas based on that silly idea.
>

> http://www.w8ji.com/radiation_resistance.htm
>
> 73 Tom

-----