Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

To: "Jan Babinec" <om2xw@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:42:27 -0400
Just to underline Tom's comments, see the following paper

http://www.sm2cew.com/Digital%20communications%20using%20minimal%20transfer.pdf

Jan,

That report is amazing and disturbing at the same time. It appears we now have a system that pre-establishes the callsigns and QSO information, cannot actually decode the information without the data being pre-established, and we now have stooped to a level where we claim this allows valid contacts.

Why would the ARRL or anyone else want or accept QSO's via that mode, when minimal information was not actually being transferred?

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK