Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: <mstangelo@comcast.net>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:55:42 -0400
Is this the correct thing to do?

It is for me. :-)

How do you know that the beacon user is breaking the law in his jurisdiction?

Because I can read the International rules and regulations as well as FCC rules. There is no legal use of 1800-1850 except amateur in this region (2).

http://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/hfband.htm

In any case jamming should not be proposed as a solution. Amateur radio operators should not cause malicious interference.

This comes up frequently when dealing with CB operators or pirates on ten meters. I'm not going to debate this here, but I suggest we look at the rules governing malicious or harmful interference. It is technically impossible to cause harmful interference to any station operating outside the law, because they are unauthorized and should not be there. Hollingsworth made this pretty clear on several occasions, and it is what the rules say.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK