Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop

To: "James Rodenkirch" <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 01:12:21 -0700
Jim,
When I first got on 160 I put one up at the urging of W6KUT (SK) back in the late '80s. It worked fair but had a lot of QRN from the cars parked underneath in the garage. The dimensions of the flat garage roof were exactly the dimensions needed for the K6STI loop so that's where the loop went but ignition noise with cars coming and going was not a satisfactory deal. The heigth of the loop was about 12 ft and heard well without the auto QRN.

I soon put up some short Beverages (330 ft) and they were better (but more $$) so the K6STI went away.

If that is the only rx antenna you can put up then go for it. W6KUT wrote an article in QST about the loop about that time so I am sure it's on the ARRL website or listed in the ON4UN biblography of his Low Band DXing book.Get it away from the house if at all possible and all noise sources. I think the K6STI loop along with the BOG will give a good receiving starting point.
My 2 cents...
73 Hardy N7RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Rodenkirch" <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>