Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop

To: <n7rt@cox.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 06:43:42 -0600
Hardy and others - thank you MUCHO Beaucoup!  All replies were filled with
sound suggestions or anecdotal evidence that have helped me put together a
trade study that is leading me to.....erect a horizontal loop (making it as
long on the sides as possible) and look into running as long a BOG as I can.
Between them I outta figure out if one is "worth more" than the other or, keep
both and figure out a simple switching method between 'em.

Certainly received more information and positive suggestions than I
anticipated.  Subject is closed, from my perspective, as I've got 'work to do"
Hi Hi

72, Jim R. K9JWV

> From: n7rt@cox.net
> To: rodenkirch_llc@msn.com; topband@contesting.com
> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 01:12:21 -0700
> Subject: Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop
>
> Jim,
> When I first got on 160 I put one up at the urging of W6KUT (SK) back in the
> late '80s. It worked fair but had a lot of QRN from the cars parked
> underneath in the garage. The dimensions of the flat garage roof were
> exactly the dimensions needed for the K6STI loop so that's where the loop
> went but ignition noise with cars coming and going was not a satisfactory
> deal. The heigth of the loop was about 12 ft and heard well without the auto
> QRN.
>
>  I soon put up some short Beverages (330 ft) and they were better (but more
> $$) so the K6STI went away.
>
> If that is the only rx antenna you can put up then go for it. W6KUT wrote an
> article in QST about the loop about that time so I am sure it's on the ARRL
> website or listed in the ON4UN biblography of his Low Band DXing book.Get it
> away from the house if at all possible and all noise sources.
> I think the K6STI loop along with the BOG will give a good receiving
> starting point.
> My 2 cents...
> 73 Hardy N7RT

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK