Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna
From: Buck wh7dx <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:28:26 -1000
After some more reading... It looks like NE is the best approach.   Point it
towards North America.   I can probably get it pointed at the lower states.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go bi-directional or not and try and get Australia
/ NZ but I think I'll go for quiet and just try NA for now.

I will need to take it up about 50-75 feet from the feed point I would guess.
I don't now if an elevated beverage would be a negative.

The ground is mostly hard old volcanic ash with loose dirt here and there..
just enough to make you fall down....   It's usually always dry and I'm
thinking it is a very poor ground.

Drill a few holes for copper ground rods on both side?   Put about 10 radial
wires on the rods and spread them around.   In Hawaii I'm thinking bailing wire
but it will rust.  Fence wire isn't common.

Question..  I was going to start the beverage pretty close to the 40, 80 & 160
dipole in the tree..  I'm low on LMR400.   Last of my spool.

If it was important, I could order more from mainland and start it higher on
the mountain - giving me a more horizontal antenna.

Should I be concerned with the beverage distance, using it for receiving and
probably on a different radio?

Thank you.

Bryan WH7DX

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.