Re: Topband: ZL9HR

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ZL9HR
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:43:11 -0800
Here is what I found, Steve:

http://k3el.wordpress.com/dx/zl9hr/propagation/

"2. Operating times -- It is a condition of our operating permit that we leave the island during the hours of darkness. This is a general limitation for visitors to Campbell Island, and similar conditions applied during the ZL9CI <http://www.qsl.net/z/zl9ci/> expedition. /This restriction will limit our activities on the low bands./ Although considerable effort was made to convince the NZ DOC that an exception be made to accommodate LF DX communications, this was not granted. Exceptions may be made due to on-island conditions, e.g. if a storm makes it unsafe to leave the island and go to the boat, operators will have to stay ashore overnight and will, of course, try and work the low bands as much as possible."

Looks like there will be a short window for North America starting every day around 0840 UTC. We are getting close to the solstice, so in the southern hemisphere the evening twilight should be long. This could help depending on exactly how the authorities define "darkness".

73, Mike W4EF..........