Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:40:57 -0500
** Ive noticed no difference in any weather using field phone wire which happens to be in wide use by many very competitive contesters and lowband DXers. With 5 2 wire reversibles here and 750' of 1/2" feedline there is no need for a preamp.

I'm talking about:

1.) impedance change

2.) reactance caused by loss

Since the impedance presented at the far end of the antenna (in termination mode) varies with weather and is reactive (with high and variable dielectric losses), termination can be unreliable.

Maybe that's why you think I have a remote receiver :-) ?

The galvanized thin fence wire you often champion is also lossy.

That's an apples and oranges comparison.

First, I don't "champion" galvanized wire. That aside, there is nothing wrong with using it in normal Beverages of reasonable length. It is not terminating the system for F/B, and the termination impedance and loss does not vary with weather.