Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:06:52 -0500

Herb,

On 11/30/2012 1:09 PM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
Thanks for the comments Ron. For some reason I just can't think of
how in a 160 meter international contest that if you work KH6 you get
no additional multiplier for working Guam, Wake Island, Swains,
American Samoa, Midway, Johnson, Kingman Reef, Kure Island! These are
all separate entities over at the so call ARRL DXCC Desk but
apparently not at the "Contest Desk".

For historical reasons the ARRL 16 Meter contest is essentially a "160M
Sweepstakes".  Other than *adding* DX countries to the multiplier list
for W/VE stations, the rules are very similar to those for Sweepstakes.
As such, you are in the 'VI' section and all of KH# is in the "Pacific"
section.  Nothing "wrong" with that - just the way the contest formed.

For many years before activity in the middle part of the US expanded,
it was impossible to "win" ARRL 160 from anywhere other than W1.  I
was probably lucky to be the first to do so in 1982 when W1 had a bad
storm and could not hear anything.   You're not going to win from KP2
and I'm not likely to win again from W4 (even if I had antenna other
than a 40' high inverted V) ... that's just the nature of 160.

Those in charge at the ARRL need to start thinking about what is
wrong rather than have the ivy covered arrogance that "our tradition
is never wrong."

There is *nothing wrong with tradition*.  Making KP2 a DX multiplier in
the ARRL 16 Meter contest s not going to change anything other than to
keep you from working other DX as you complained for years.  You are
not competing with stations in KP4 (Puerto Rico Section), VP2V (DX),
any of the other islands or even mainland W4.  Yes, you're farther
away from W1/W2/W3 and the concentration of stations but so are the
stations in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Idaho, etc.

No contest is "fair" to every participant ... each has its own unique
rules and history.  In this case, if Alaska, US Caribbean territories,
and US Pacific territories were considered DX, you would be complaining
about bot being able to work other DX stations.  You can't have it both
ways, sorry Herb.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV