Re: Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:26:38 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:46 PM

resistors. Id guesstimate the general F/B to be over 20dB on 160. My feeling is that performance could not be duplicated by various other loading methods. If somebody wants to make real world comparisons it might be beneficial.

I looked at slinkys when I lived in Conyers. None of this is magical or difficult, nor are antenna slinkys or helical loads "special".

** After I brought Slinkys up on the forums and on 160 in the late 80's and 90's. Your comments then were just what I expected.

The behavior
is the same as a series of lumped inductors spaced fractional wavelengths along the antenna.

** Maybe on paper which is why Ive asked others to make the real world comparisons. I find it hard to believe that a wire being randomly interrupted by a lossy lumped inductance plus capacitance can privide identical results.

There is a certain optimum phase shift along an antenna's length. There are many ways to accomplish that, and if the resulting current distribution and phase is the same the results will also be exactly the same.

** Nothing beats a helice for a loading device for a steadily progressing phase shift. No guesswork needed. It even worked for high gain UHF transmitting antennas.

Sometimes, like
with long antennas fired away from the feedpoint, we don't want that delay. We actually might need a phase advance.

** Thats not related to the subject under discussion.

The only thing magical about slinkys is how they can go down steps without feet, and without holding on to the banister! I never have figured that out.

** No magic involved in how they work as an antenna or as a toy, the toy part has been thoroughly explained ages ago.

Carl
KM1H