Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 16:22:33 -0800
On 12/6/2012 1:23 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:

It seems to me the ARRL intended it as a local **ARRL** sectional contest, not as a worldwide DX contest to encourage DX participation. It is more like a sweepstakes contest keyed to sections.

That makes no sense -- DX contacts are weighted 2.5x US/VE contacts, and there are country multipliers. It's much closer to being the ARRL DX Contest for 160M.

1.) I think there should be a DX Window of some sort so stations located inland have some improved shot at hearing DX away from strong local signals. I do not think the idea to completely eliminate the window was, overall, a good" idea. I think it was done primarily from the view or perspective of people on the east coast with large stations, and without due consideration of how eliminating a window impacts everyone else.

I found a year old post that confirms your suspicions.  See quote below.

John,
If it had not been for the window I could not have worked what I have on
160. I would say it had gotten me at least a dozen new ones. One year I
remember giving ON4UN Zone 3 in the window.
I wish you could walk in my shoes once and do a 160 contest from out here.
It might enlighten you.
73 Hardy N7RT