Re: Topband: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 02:58:59 -0500
Your question is about the Gap antennae and I have no experience with
them. After reading some of the replies you got back I thought I'd
mention my antennae system which is both OK & some what of a joke.

I have a long coax leading to a good location for radials and I have
a 5 position remote coax box which leads to a 130' inv-l, an 80M
(mostly) vertical, a 40 & 30 vert and a beater of a butternut I use
only for 20M. All the outer braid from the coax coming from the the
coax box are grounded to the same radial plate. The 160 inv-L can be
used on 160, 15, 12 and 10M with excellent results. The 80M works
wonderful on 17M. The 40 also does 15 OK but I hear and get out
better with the 160M antenna on 15M. nothing beats the 30M for 30 and
the butternut is the only thing that loads up nicely for 20M.

All my antennae and radials are 8 wire CAT cable I got off fleabay
for around $100 for about a mile of wire. The Ameritron coax switch
I've had for many years but it's probably $150. The coax is something
you're going to get anyway. But the beauty is I don't need a tuner as
the worst SWR is 2:1 and the K3 has an internal tuner for the
barefoot times with a SS rig and the amplifier doesn't seem to mind a
2:1 SWR so the amp is no problem.

With this el cheapo antenna system I was able to confirm ZL9HR on 17,
30, 40, 80 and 160 (small brag; one of the 185 total 160M QSOs they
made!). All that to say, If you can get a few radials down, and some
wire in the air (especially the 160 inv-L, you might could save some
money over a commercial antenna and do surprisingly well. It won't
beat the big dogs but it'll do just fine.

Gary
KA1J