Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question

To: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:58:51 -0800

From: charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com

  Could you support a vertical 1/2 wave for 160 with aballoon?
You could end -feed it at the base through a 1/4 wave of 450 ohm

But feeding a half wave vertical with the base near the  ground
> still  results in substantial ground losses without a radial system.

Don k4kyv

And this statement is based on what?  Publications, measurements,
modeling?

I have built a number of 1/2 wave verticals without radials and compared them to 1/4 wave verticals with radials. They are
indistinguishable in performance and certainly do not exhibit
substantial ground losses AFAIK.  The PAR electronics 1/2 wave
end fed antenna seems to have a good reputation, unlike some
GAP verticals.

However, I don't recommend feeding it through 1/4 wave of 450
ohm open wire line.  I just use an LC matching network.

Rick N6RK