Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: GAP Vertical Question
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 01:42:36 +0000
Then, why do broadcast stations that use vertical towers at approximately a
half wavelength, purchase valuable real estate and spend thousands of dollars
for the copper to install from 120 to 240 or more radials,  each usually a half
wave or more in length?

See G. H. Brown: "Ground Systems as a Factor in Antenna Efficiency", IRE
Proceedings, June 1937 p. 753.  Brown demonstrated that the distribution of
earth currents and ground losses is such that the region of maximum current and
loss occurs at a distance of about 0.35 wavelengths from the base of a ground
mounted half wave vertical antenna, which was verified experimentally.

There is zero loss at the base of the antenna itself, since there is no base
current because the antenna a fed at a current node.  An rf ammeter inserted in
the ground lead, as well as one inserted in in the antenna lead attached to the
insulated base of the radiator will read zero.  The ground losses occur farther
out from the base of the antenna. Low effective earth resistance provided by a
good ground system is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for vertical antennas of ANY height
if one expects good radiation efficiency. The claim that no ground system is
needed for a half wave vertical is nothing more than a long-standing popular
misconception.

This topic prompted me to dig out and review an anecdote I recall reading in my
decades-old copy of CQ magazine's Vertical Antenna Handbook, by USNR Capt. Paul
H. Lee, K6TS (1974). He reported receiving mail from a ham who had made the
"discovery" that he could tune and operate a half wave vertical without a
ground system, feeding it by a parallel tuned tank circuit whose lower end is
grounded.  Since an rf ammeter in the  ground lead showed no current, he could
dispense with the ground system and its loss.  He suggested to the Capt. that
he should "discover the new world of half verticals with no ground system".

Quoting from the text (p. 84):

"The correspondent's claim... is true ONLY IF HE IS CONTENT TO THROW AWAY FROM
40 TO 80 PER CENT OF HIS RADIATED POWER IN THE FORM OF EARTH LOSSES.  (the
correspondent) stated, 'The ZL's call ME, when I use my  half wave vertical!'
This is not surprising, in view of the fact that the half wave's vertical
pattern has a lower main lobe angle than a quarter wave would have... However,
he would hit the ZL's even harder if he would put in a ground system.  Of
course, the half wave vertical is not dependent on a ground plane, however
lossy or efficient, for the condition of RESONANCE, since it is resonant in
itself because of its half wave length.  However, IT IS DEPENDENT ON A GROUND
PLANE FOR ITS EFFICIENCY OF RADIATION, as is any vertical antenna...'

Don k4kyv