Re: Topband: Delta loops antennas

To: Bruce <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Delta loops antennas
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:54:24 +0000
On the "doublet" vs "dipole": at various times in history, the word "dipole"
was taken by some to mean "quarter wave dipole", and doublet was a more general
term for a balanced antenna. I will look in my older handbooks and see if there
was a "singlet" (vertical? End fed?) in there. Sometimes I go looking in the
30's handbooks for vertical/Marconi style antennas and find nothing that I
recognize at all, maybe I should be looking for singlets.

There are some complications... for decades the ARRL handbooks showed charts
for doublets with strictly prescribed feedline lengths - I think they were
intended to be optimizations while avoiding resonances in feedline but the
reasoning behind the chart was never well explained, turning it into a "gospel"
for many.

What has thrown me for a loop many times is the "GP Antenna". In my gut I feel
that "GP"="General Purpose" but sometimes I can eventually figure out that it
means "Ground Plane".

Tim N3QE