Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:03:56 -0900
The following obs were an annual occurrence until my 85'+ support tree blew
down this year. The 160 antenna described below was supported by the tree, and
was no more than 4' from the trunk in the middle...the top an bottom were
closer, ~1'.

A wire Inv-L (#12 stranded THHN) with tuned elevated radials for 160, pruned in
summer, dropped in resonance with each winter's freezing of the support,
surrounding trees of similar height, and the ground below. It took up to 3' of
vertical shortening (~2%) at the feed point to return it to 1.825, versus the
same resonant point in summer.

Sure, the ground freezes deeper with each passing winter month, but once pruned
a month after freeze-up in early November, it would stay that way and not
change until a major warming briefly defrosted only the tree(s). Meanwhile, the
ground below froze at ever increasing depth, to typically about 4' max. Real RF
ground is 10's of feet lower in our Interior Alaskan soils.

I believe the tree(s) affected the wire antenna at some level. As to how much
the RF was absorbed, or antenna pattern influeanced, I have no idea.

73, Gary NL7Y
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.