Topband: Receiving loop worked great in Stew Perry

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiving loop worked great in Stew Perry
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:30:56 -0800
In rebuilding the station this year, I have been trying a lot of receiving antennas. My criterion was: does this receive significantly
better than the transmit vertical.  I tried some beverages without
success.  In the past they had been good at times.  I tried a low 80
meter dipole that I happened to have.  That was somewhat useful.
For the SP, I put up a low 160 meter dipole.  It loaded up so well
I could have used it for a transmit antenna.  Surprisingly, it was
only 10 dB below the 60 foot transmit vertical.  I had expected 20 dB.
But on receive, it was no better than the vertical.

The big surprise was the receiving loop.  This is the one shown
on the cover of NCJ a few years ago.  It was phenomenal for receiving.
Signals that were barely audible on the vertical popped out of the noise
on the loop and were Q5. I used it for the entire contest, occasionally checking it against the vertical. I don't like to
think that certain antennas are magic but by golly this thing really
works.  I did rotate it for minimum power line noise, which ended
up having it broadside to a power pole I have had trouble with before.
It was also approximately broadside to VK6GX, but I had no trouble
logging him around 1200Z.  I appreciated not having to switch between
beverages, which has probably caused me to miss VK's in the past.

In theory, the loop should not be much different than a vertical.
What explains this?
I am thinking about trying it at 30 foot height instead of ground
mounted.  Has anyone tried this?

Rick N6RK
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.