Re: Topband: Being there; was Re: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre l

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Being there; was Re: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@bdtv.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:00:38 +0100
Rick, your 100W also made it into my log back in 2010 31 January.
Nice with 100W. This was when I had a good antenna that is no more.

73 Jim SM2EKM
-----------------------
On 2013-01-13 20:11, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

On 1/13/2013 8:52 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 1/12/2013 12:49 PM, k7xq@elite.net wrote:
1. I still have not copied or worked into Europe. I have been on this
band
somewhat seriously for at least 5 years

EU is VERY tough from California, especially northern California. We
have to go over the pole.  My neighbor, K6XX has more than 60 acres on
top of a 2,700 ft ridge up the road from me, and when I moved here he
told me he can count the nights he can hear EU on the fingers of one
hand. Six seasons have convinced me he's right. We're in the Santa Cruz
Mountains.  All the stars must be aligned -- propagation that gives us a

Europe on 160 meters from W6 is about "being there" the few nights
it happens.  In the recent SP contest, I easily worked VK6, CE1, JA,
etc running 100W to a 60 foot vertical and using a loop receiving
antenna.  I never heard or planned to hear EU.  I also recently worked
the PT0S dxpedition on 160 meters.  So I know there is nothing
wrong with my station.  It is entirely possible to have fun working DX
from the central valley.  Just not Europe.  For WAC, try working
the Azores, which technically count as EU.  That's probably realistic.
On the few nights when EU is in here, everyone works
them, not just the big guns.  There were a few crazy nights during
the recent sunspot minimum when some Russians were working W6's on 160m
phone.  Unbelievable, you had to be there.  It sounded like 20 meters.

My favorite "being there" story is calling CQ all night in a 160 meter
contest on the longest night of the year at the bottom of the sunspot
cycle that was the lowest in a lifetime and, barely aware, just before
sunrise, getting a called by a UA3.  You just can't plan these things.
Did I mention I was only running 100 watts?

Rick N6RK
Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector