Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 08:52:13 -0800
On 1/12/2013 12:49 PM, k7xq@elite.net wrote:
1. I still have not copied or worked into Europe. I have been on this band
somewhat seriously for at least 5 years

EU is VERY tough from California, especially northern California. We have to go over the pole. My neighbor, K6XX has more than 60 acres on top of a 2,700 ft ridge up the road from me, and when I moved here he told me he can count the nights he can hear EU on the fingers of one hand. Six seasons have convinced me he's right. We're in the Santa Cruz Mountains. All the stars must be aligned -- propagation that gives us a path but not the east coast, a very good RX antenna, minimal local noise, high power, and a very good antenna system. That includes a serious radial system or other very effective counterpoise.

2. I hear a few Russians but they don't hear me.

We have a fairly good shot at Asiatic Russia, and I work some in most contests. There was a UA0 working us a few nights ago an hour or so before midnight, which is unusually early for that path.

3. I heard a FM5 last few nights peaking 559, called him countleesly with no
QSO.

Stations in that latitude can have a lot of RX noise, and can be difficult to work.

My power is about 800 W on this band ( single 3-500 ). I am looking
into finding a single GS35 amp for all bands on HF....love that tube.

Power is a good thing, but you need antenna help. Others have told you that you need to work on your radial system, and I strongly agree. Also, antenna efficiency increases with increasing vertical height. I did a tutorial on 160M antennas for limited space at Pacificon, and recently repeated it for a local ham club. You may find it useful It's on my webpage as a pdf.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector