Re: Topband: Polyphaser IS-50UX-CO vs ICE Model 303?

To: Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Polyphaser IS-50UX-CO vs ICE Model 303?
From: cx7tt@4email.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 07:40:27 -0200
On Sun Jan 20 01:58:14 2013, Cecil wrote:
The polyphasers are good protectors but be aware that they rely on gas tubes
for protection and their failure mode is one that leaves you unknowingly
unprotected.  After so many ionizations the gas tube will fail and won't clamp
on the next strike.  For a time Polyphaser made a test set to verify the
function of the gas tube.  We use those at work to test those in use once a
year and every year we find a few that have failed.  Polyphaser quit selling
the test set (FIST4) several years back so one will need to find another way to
test them....maybe a meggar.

Cecil
K5DL

'snip'

Topband Reflector

Cecil,

That's a good point. About a year ago I was having problems with my Steppir..after replacing coax, doing lot's of testing on the Steppir control box I started replacing all items along the path and discovered the PP on the grounded copper board at the base of the tower had gone 'south'...

73
Tom
Topband Reflector