Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 08:24:18 -0500
Good Day All,

Well, after sifting through all of the responses to my original posting, and
reviewing the different sites recommended by specific denizens of Topband, I've
come to the conclusion that I will have to stick to my current design of 24
radials, each 1/8-wave long, per "L"...

I believe that a minimum of two elevated radials would be the absolute minimum
that I would have liked to try at my location---unfortunately, physical
limitations of the property here would allow extended radials (i.e. going off
in opposite directions to one another) beneath just one element in my 3-element
array: the other 2 elements would benefit from a fully extended (& elevated, of
course) single radial only, with the other "twin" being meandered about the
property lines of the real estate that is available here...

While this arrangement might prove to be an effective compromise of
sorts---compared to the questionable system that I currently employ---I don't
know that I'd want to commit next year's Topband DX season to an arrangement
that might be grossly inferior to what I now have, as tempting as any elevated
set-up might be...and the current ground system has carried me through some 7
years of reasonably reliable & faithful service to date...

So---bad knees notwithstanding!---I guess I'll have to stick to the "tried &
true" here, & hope that the propagation gods might render me better assistance
next season, than they have this year.

Thanks again for all of the input that I received from everyone...

~73!~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
Topband Reflector