Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:06:53 -0400
If you test some popular loop antennas for pattern, which I have done, you will find many have significant skewing in the nulls. The nulls often are not 180 degrees apart. This proves the loop is in multiple modes, one of which (electric field probe) would involve mast and feedline radiation. This is true even with an exceptionally clean mounting and feed arrangement.

This occurs because the feedpoint design causes the loop to be sensitive to common mode on the element, the mast, and the feeder.

The null skewing (and differing depth in each direction) certainly doesn't mean the loops can never make some people happy with a performance change. It simply shows lack of proper feed design, and sensitivity to common mode signals on the element, feedline, and supporting mast.

As I recall, the skew in one loop on 160 was about 20-30 degrees, and a few dozen dB null depth difference. This means CM noise on the feeder can be abnormally problematic, because more than the antenna is the antenna!

This throws another wild card in the deck.

73 Tom

All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector