Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 18:01:01 -0800
Thanks Tom for the explanation. As always, this is a learning Reflector. Part
of my location involves potential BCB, power line, adjacent home electronics,
and of course the legal limit transmissions close to the loop/feed/rotator
controller. Common mode supression is an absolute requirement on all lines.

As to it's +- effect on the loop, well, as I mentioned, it was a shotgun
process during the installation. Without common mode filtering on all cabling I
couldn't operate. Such is the dilemma of the city dweller who has an S4-7 noise
floor depending upon season. It's substantially worse in winter as explained
below.

I'm told that the effective RF ground in these parts of Alaska is 15+ meters
down, and it'll find a way into the shack unless crowbarred at the door. Ground
rods surrounded by 4-5' of winter frost and non-conductive soils are useless.

73, Gary NL7Y

> This doesn't mean loops will never work, or loops with poor feed systems will
> never make people happy. It just means it is almost impossible to correct a
> bad feed design by stringing beads or winding conventional chokes, even if
> you get up to 5,000 ohms. It is always far better to make the antenna with a
> correct feed system, because a proper feed has far less common mode response
> without any common mode foolery.
>
> 73 Tom

All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector