Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops

To: "Gary and Kathleen Pearse" <pearse@gci.net>, "topband List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magnetic Loops
From: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:18:16 +0100
Gary wrote on May 21.

I've had a Wellbrooke loop for a few years at 20' on a TV rotator. It nulls a single nearby QRN source NW at 300 deg true. EU is about 15-30 deg from here. When 160 or 80 are open over the N Pole, it often helps me hear the weak.

It's less effective on multi-source QRN, but still helps at times if I rotate the loop to null the loudest noise and max the received signals.

No room for other receiving antennas, and the loop ignores legal limit transmissions on a 120'x120' lot. What more can I ask?

73, Gary NL7Y

Gary,

Deploying the loop at ground level can sometimes reduce local QRN compared to mounting it high up where it can pick-up noise radiated from sources below. Also it may be prudent to make sure you have mains filter on the rotator, receiver and Loop power supply. Preferable one with a Earth line choke, so it can have a separate ground connexion to the equipment isolated from the powerline Earth.

73

Andrew G8LUG

All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector