Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower plus Marconi vertical phasing on 160 and80?

To: "'Paul Staupe'" <pstaupe@qwest.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower plus Marconi vertical phasing on 160 and80?
From: "Lennart M" <lennart.michaelsson@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:49:39 +0200
Paul,
If I were you I would ground both towers and put them 1/4 wavelength apart
on 160. Grounded towers are easily fed by using a curtain or at least a few
wires dropped from the top, distance to towers at least 1.5m. If you add
some top load wires on the towers you would come close to 1.83 MHz. It is
important to carry out the work on one tower at a time because
interaction/coupling is heavy, in the meantime detune the other tower!
This gives you on 160: omni, direction 1, direction 2.
On 80 you will have at least omni, broadside 1, and a few more depending on
how much work you put into the delaylines.
Bonuses for grounded towers are: Less risk of having problems with a direct
hit, minimized problems with high voltage build up on the tower when having
a thunderstorm close by. Easily decoupled feeders running to the rig from
impedance matching network...
GL
Len
SM7BIC