Re: Topband: Don W6AM

To: herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Don W6AM
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:40:05 -0400
On 2013-07-27, at 4:33 PM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:

> While I was attending the infamous DX event at Visalia, CA a big convertible
> rolls into the parking lot a the Holiday Inn.  I think it was a Buick or
> Cadillac, not sure.  But I clearly remember the W6AM license plate and a very
> large whip on the back bumper.  I sheepishly introduced myself to the Don and
> noticed a Vibroplex strapped down in the center counsel but I never had the
> courage to asked to peak in the trunk or see what  the number of alternators
> on the fan belt.  Even on 40 CW from the West Coast as W6AM/m Don was King.
> The only thing today we have close to that are the feats of another Don
> (KH6DX) who I understand accomplished a 160 meter DXCC from his car.

Hi Herb,

If you ever get the chance, read that biography that was written about W6AM a
coupla years back: most interesting stuff!

Don was on the "...leading edge" of a LOT of Ham radio frontiers back in his
day, bar none. I even have W6AM/m in my logbook for a 40-meter CW QSO we had
when I first got licensed back in the early 70's. I wish I'd had the foresight
to request his QSL, but alas, hindsight is 20-20 vision, right...?!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
Topband Reflector