Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:02:06 -0700
On 8/13/2013 5:07 AM, Shoppa, Tim wrote:
A transformer that is connected such that it is UNbalanced on one side and
BALanced on the other, and connected that way on purpose, is not a balun?

A transformer is a transformer is a transformer. For more than a century, we have used plain, ordinary transformers in exactly this manner in audio circuits, in the input and output stages of radios, in power supplies, and in the power distribution system, and we have called them transformers. Indeed, they are transformers. In power circuits, audio circuits, they are wound on some sort of magnetic core. In RF circuits, they may be wound on a magnetic core, or an air core, depending on circuit impedances and operating frequencies.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector